Renew License or ID
- If your license expiration is between March 1, 2020 and April 30th, 2021, see special instructions for submitting your eye exam at dmv.ny.gov/vision
Before You Begin
- On the confirmation page, you can download and print a temporary license or non-driver ID in PDF format to use until your new document arrives in the mail. We will also email you a copy of the temporary document.
- The temporary document is valid for 60 days.
See the information about verifying or changing your address Opens new window before you try to renew if
- You know your current address is not on our records.
- You are not sure if your current address is on our records.
- The address on your current document is not your current address.
- A NYS driver license or non-driver ID card that has "UNDER 21" on it normally expires on your 21st birthday.
- If you renew 40 days or less before your 21st birthday, we will issue you a document on or near your birthday without "UNDER 21" on it.
- If your renewal is processed 41 days or more before your 21st birthday, you will receive a document with "UNDER 21" on it.
- Generally, you cannot renew a permit. You must apply for a new learner permit Opens new window at a DMV office.
- There are exceptions if you have a commercial learner permit (CLP) or more than one permit. Opens new window
- Receive Email / Text Reminders Opens new window
- Military Veteran Resources Opens new window
- Register to Vote Opens new window
- Register as an Organ Donor Opens new window